Student Commencement Speaker Competition
The process for 2022 has now closed.
About the Process
The Student Commencement Speaker is a proud tradition of Temple University. During the spring semester a graduating senior is selected to address all graduates at the Main Campus University Commencement Exercises. The honor is among the highest distinctions a student can receive.
The Student Commencement Speaker will be selected based on the following criteria:
1. Graduating Senior (August 2021, January 2022, or May 2022) with a minimum GPA of 3.00.
2. Is a representative of the graduating class who has made a constructive social and/or educational impact on the Temple University community.
3. Is well spoken and able to capture the celebration of this capstone event within the time allowed (2-3 minutes).
The Applicant must:
1. Complete the virtual application form.
2. Submit a written proposed 2-3 minute speech.
3. Submit a one-page personal statement. Provide information about yourself (academic awards, membership in student organizations & honor societies, community service & involvement, career goals) as well as your reason for wishing to represent your class as the Student Commencement Speaker.
4. Submit a resume.
5. Include two letters of recommendation (e.g., dean, professors, employers and/or community service representatives). The letters of recommendation must reflect the applicant’s strongest qualities.
You are to submit the application with all the required materials.
Selected applicants will be required to present their speeches to the Student Commencement Speaker Selection Committee.
Once chosen, the student speaker will work with the Office of the Dean of Students to rehearse the speech in preparation for Commencement.