Student Commencement Speaker Competition
The application for the 2023 Student Commencement Speaker is now open!
Application Link: Click Here
Copy and Paste This Link If The Application Does Not Open Above: (https://forms.office.com/r/XTSs4PJTfG)
About the Process
The Student Commencement Speaker is a proud tradition of Temple University. During the spring semester a graduating senior is selected to address all graduates at the Main Campus University Commencement Exercises. The honor is among the highest distinctions a student can receive.
The Student Commencement Speaker will be selected based on the following criteria:
1. Graduating Senior (August 2022, January 2023, or May 2023) with a minimum GPA of 3.00.
2. Is a representative of the graduating class who has made a constructive social and/or educational impact on the Temple University community.
3. Is skilled in public speaking and able to capture the celebration of this capstone event within the time allowed (2-3 minutes).
The Applicant must:
1. Complete the virtual application form.
2. Submit a written proposed 2-3 minute speech.
3. Submit a one-page personal statement. Provide information about yourself (academic awards, membership in student organizations & honor societies, community service & involvement, career goals) as well as your reason for wishing to represent your class as the Student Commencement Speaker.
4. Submit a resume.
Please submit your application with all the required materials to the above link and note that there will be only one submission per student allowed so you should make sure to thoroughly review all of your materials prior to submitting.
Selected applicants will be required to present their speeches to the Student Commencement Speaker Selection Committee.
Once chosen, the student speaker will work with the Office of the Dean of Students to rehearse the speech in preparation for Commencement.